Monday 23 April 2012

What to do with all of those reject prints + drawings?



This image is of a hardback accordion format book -it is NOT difficult to make


Well if you have been meaning to do something or other with them then maybe making them into a sketchbook might be an idea or as a  small notebook to give to a friend as a gift.

I received something like this last year from  Angela Heidemann and I really treasure it -  it is a thing of beauty  - too nice to write something in. Angela made this I believe on a artists book course she participated in last year.   Annoyingly I can not locate the photo I took of Angelas book binding which I customized .............and embossed.



Susie Wilson artists books

Please click on the COURSES  tab in the navigation bar at the top of this blog

or have a  LOOK in the courses section for information concerning the forthcoming artists book/ book binding course being taught soon at FDPW by Edinburgh based artist Susie Wilson.

This looks so perfect, doesn't it  - it's called Coptic /link stitch binding.  

Essentially though, its  bundles of folded bits of paper that have been simply stitched together.

Then they have been lined up,  one on top of the other and thereafter  they are kind of 'chain linked' together using stitches.

More info on book art................where to begin?................. .well I had a look around and though that this Squidoo lens put together by an artist called Nicola Joy was rather good.
It has a glossary as well as online tutorials and video links.  It ends with books that she recommends.
http://www.squidoo.com/bookbinding101

The book I have which I find I go to again and again because of its excellent illustrations of the steps involved in the various binding techniques is "Bookworks" by Sue Doggett.  Here's a photo of one of the pages from the book I found on the web - to give you a sense of what I mean.



No comments:

Post a Comment