Friday 18 September 2009

Any One have any theories as to how this Clemente print was made ???





All it says is woodcut and I have seen from looking at the web that there are various opinions or versions as to the size of the edition.  It was printed up by some Japanese master printmaker  and published through Pace Prints in the USA.  I couldn't find any useful info on there.  I know a bit about the `Moku Hanga' method (as in the Japanese traditional approach to carving wood for a print.   But the pigment wouldn't have been put 'into' the lines ?  I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.  It's one of my favorites.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Aine.
    If you still wonder about this print, I found a description that says it is printed in the japanese ukiyo-e manner, that is a woodcut.
    here is the link so you can see for yourself.
    http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3ADE%3AI%3A2%7CG%3AHI%3AE%3A1%7CA%3AHO%3AE%3A1&page_number=76&template_id=1&sort_order=2

    ReplyDelete